What is Permabond 2K Primer and Adhesion Promoter
Permabond 2K Primer is a multi-purpose product. It is ideal for preparing substrates for bonding, identifying if the surface is wetting out properly or if additional surface preparation is needed. It contains an adhesive promotor to increase bond strength. It is ideal for preparing metal, glass, plastic, and composite for bonding. When bonding metal, note that Permabond 2K Primer protects metal against corrosion which increases the long term durability of bond strength.
To prepare surfaces for bonding:
- Degrease and lightly abrade bond areas.
- Degrease again to remove dust.
- Combine contents of both bottles (A&B) into the spray bottle.
- Attach the sprayer and shake well.
- Spray the bond area with a thin layer of primer.
- Compare the wetting – if the primer beads up as shown on the right, more surface preparation is needed.
On the left, the primer wets out the surface leaving a uniform coating. The surface to the right is not yet prepared well for bonding and shows the 2K primer beading up.
- If wetting is good, remove excess with a clean, dry cloth or tissue.
- Allow to dry before bonding.
- Use mixed primer within 8 hours.
The following graph shows strength retention with and without Permabond 2K Primer on abraded aluminum surfaces bonded with a structural acrylic adhesive. The results of the salt spray aging test show improved durability with the 2K Primer.
Contact Permabond to determine if it is right for your application.