Bonding composites with industrial adhesives
Why are there so many adhesives to choose from?
Because there are so many types of composites and the composite materials themselves are used in a variety of applications which involve different requirements there are many different means of bonding them.
Following are some of the adhesive types used.
- Methyl Methacrylates offer very high bond strength to composites and rapid strength development and are noted for their strength and durability in bonding fixtures, railings, nameplates, antenna.
- Methyl Methacrylates are often referred to as MMA’s and are two component room temperature cure adhesives that can be dispensed through a static mix nozzle to avoid manually mixing.
- Surface Activated Methyl Methacrylates provide the strength and process versatility of minimal set time needed to work in field applications such as wire harness attachment within aircraft.
- Two Component Urethanes provide both strength and flexibility for bonding composites such as large carbon fiber applications found in car hoods.
- Two Component Urethanes can also be mixed through static mix nozzles.
- Cyanoacrylates provide the ideal properties for quickly forming strong bonds between composites such as carbon fiber to foams and other padding on medical appliances.
- Two component – No Mix Acrylic and Initiator provide structural bonds that fill and seal joints
- Epoxies provide the ultimate bond performance of high shear, impact strength and environmental resistance needed in composite bonding of bike frames, golf clubs and other sporting equipment.
- Modified Epoxies and MS Polymers provide the flexibility and low shrinkage needed to eliminate read through in many thin panel composite bonding applications for trucks, trailers and planes. The high elongation and excellent peel strength provide toughness and durability to joints.
- Cyanoacrylates are often called instant adhesives because many achieve handling strength in less than 10 seconds. High performance grades include high temperature resistance, low odor, non-blooming and grades that will cure quickly on acidic surfaces.
- Two Component – No Mix Acrylic and Initiator systems are non-flammable in the liquid state and can reach handling strength in as little as 10 seconds.
To determine the best adhesive for your application contact an industrial adhesive specialist.