How to Bond Plastic?
What is the best plastic adhesive? Because of the large number and variety of plastics, there isn’t one answer. There is no magic plastic glue that is appropriate for every plastic application. The factors within each application that affecting plastic adhesive choices include; the type of plastic, the surface condition of that plastic, the joint design, the bond area, if you are bonding to a dissimilar surface, the resistance required to stresses, chemicals, temperature, etc… Contact our technical team for an individualized recommendation.
ADHESIVE – PLASTIC to PLASTIC BOND
For the vast majority of plastics cyanoacrylates (instant adhesives), UV curable adhesives, two-component acrylics, epoxies, or polyurethanes offer excellent adhesion.
Here is a quick list of ideas for difficult-to-bond plastics
- Polyolefins (like polypropylene and polyethylene) see the featured products TA4610 & TA4611 below.
- Santoprene and Silicone rubber use Permabond Primer POP then bond with Permabond cyanoacrylate.
- A popular marine plastic glue is methyl methacrylate adhesives (MMA), which have very good water resistance. MMAs are also popular within industrial applications.
Featured Products – Adhesive for Plastic: Permabond TA4610 & Permabond TA4611 Plastic Bonders:
TA4610 contains microbeads for a controlled gap. TA4611 has no microbeads making it suitable for joints with smaller gaps.
- Bond untreated polyolefin
- Ideal for bonding polypropylene and polyethylene
- No need to flame, corona, or plasma treat surfaces before bonding = cost & process saving
- Easy 1:1 mix ratio – can be manually applied or used with automatic dispensing equipment
- Non-hazardous for transport = easier shipping and storage
- Ideal for bonding a wide range of surfaces
- Some strength on PTFE
- Faster and slower curing products are available to suit production needs.
Download the technical datasheet for TA4610 or for TA4611 for full technical information. For more plastic bonding options contact Permabond.
Click the links below for more information on adhesives for plastics:
Best practices for bonding low surface energy plastics.
How To Bond Plastic To Metal
Plastic Adhesive: Best Adhesives for Bonding Plastic
What are the best plastic to metal adhesives?