Flexible CA Cyanoacrylates
Flexible CA (Cyanoacrylate)
When I first heard that we had developed flexible CA I thought OK, sure we did. I bet it is another one of those rubber toughened instant adhesives. Toughened cyanoacrylates are considerably less brittle than standard cyanoacrylates but using the word flexible to describe them is a bit of a STRETCH. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that not only are these cyanoacrylates truly flexible; they do STRETCH – up to 400% elongation!
When bonding soft materials such as foam or soft plastic with standard cyanoacrylates, (and even toughened cyanoacrylates) the joint has a crispy feel to it. These new flexible cyanoacrylates form bonds that maintain the softness and flexibility of the bonded substrates. The line of flexible adhesives has products which range in Shore hardness from A60 to D50.
These flexible CA adhesives form clear colorless bonds which provide good thermal shock resistance and excellent impact resistance. The line includes a variety of viscosities ranging from water thin to thixotropic gel. New applications for these products are discovered every day. Here are a few typical uses:
- Bonding silicone. For best results apply Permabond POP to the silicone prior to bonding with Permabond Flexible Cyanoacrylate
- Bonding swabs. Soft porous foam is bonded to the applicator handle without being able to feel the bond line.
- Threadlocking plastic fasteners. The flexible nature provides impact and vibration loosening resistance.
- Bonding flexible rubber trim or splicing gaskets with no bond line hardness. Depending upon the type of rubber, Permabond POP primer may be recommended.
These products bond virtually every substrate that standard cyanoacrylates bond. The soft, flexible nature is an added benefit to the long list of features and benefits instant adhesives offer.
Features and Benefits of Flexible Cyanoacrylates
- Single part
- Room temperature moisture cure – no equipment needed
- Bond plastics, metals, rubbers, glass, composite, and more
- Clear, colorless appearance
- Highly flexible
- Various viscosities
- High elongation
- Good thermal shock resistance
- Excellent impact resistance
- Good resistance to non-polar solvents
For more information see the video below or contact us to see if a flexible cyanoacrylate is right for your application.