Using Permabond HL126 for Weld Sealing and Thread Locking
Permabond HL126 is an extremely versatile product that can be used for both sealing welds and as a threadlocker. It is able to do this primarily due to its low viscosity and impressive strength. The following is a brief look at using Permabond HL126 for both weld sealing and thread locking.
- You need to be able to expose the metal surface first in order to seal it properly, so clean off any dirt, grime, rust or paint so that there will be nothing impeding the seal. It doesn’t have to be impeccable, though the cleaner the surface area of the metal is, the easier it will be for the sealant to get right in there and be effective.
- Ensure any sprinkler systems have been bled dry of water, as any water pressure in the pipes can prevent the sealant from being able to wick right into the area you are attempting to seal.
- Find out whether or not it is a chemical system, and if it is, consult the Material Data Safety Sheets for advice. It is vital that you know exactly what the chemicals are and what their flammable points are too, so do your research before going near a chemical system.
- If it is NOT a chemical system you are working on, heat up the metal to a temperature slightly warmer than you can touch, using a propane torch, a heat gun or even a lighter.
- Once you have the metal warmed sufficiently, apply the Permabond HL126 to the joint being resealed, using either a paintbrush or a clean piece of cloth. Apply it liberally and put a couple of coats on so that it soaks right into the cracks and spaces in the joint.
- Leave it to set and your welded joint will be well and truly resealed.
Thread locking pre-assembled fasteners
- Apply Permabond HL126 to the threads of the fasteners prior to them going into their holes, unless they are being inserted into closed holes or ‘blind holes’. For blind holes, insert the sealant into the bottom of the hole as well, as otherwise the pressure of the trapped air will force the fastener back out or leave voids on the thread.
- Leave it to set and dry.
Thread locking post-assembled fasteners
- Apply Permabond HL126 to the head of the fastener and then allow it to wick down the threads before being inserted.
- Leave it to set and dry.
When it comes to creating a tight seal or a solid bond, there is nothing quite as versatile as anaerobic sealants and adhesives. Whether you are locking threads or resealing leaky welding joints, having the right viscosity and strength in a product is key, and Permabond HL126 will have you covered for just about anything.
When you are shopping for sealants and adhesives, they will usually be colour coded according to their grading and recommended usage, making it easy to ensure you get exactly what you need.